How To Lay Turf Properly | Installing Kenda® Kikuyu Turf
Having to rip out your whole lawn and start again is the last thing you want to do, right? So…
It pays to lay your Kenda® Kikuyu turf properly from the start. Follow these instructions and you’ll be right.
- Remove all building waste and weeds.
- Spread a free draining soil to a depth of 7-15cm (roots can penetrate much deeper) or loosen ground and mix in appropriate soil conditioners. Phone your supplier for more advice on this option. For sandy soils, simply mix in organic material and rotary hoe.
- Level the surface using a screeding board, lawn leveller or similar device.
- In hot months, moisten the soil but do not make the soil too wet. Do not lay turf on hot, dry soil.
- Lay the Kenda® Kikuyu turf as soon as possible after delivery.
- On hot days, lay a section of Kenda® grass and lightly water. Repeat until all Kenda® grass is laid. On cool days, turf can be laid all at once. Roll and water thoroughly within one hour of laying turf.
- Water thoroughly for 7-10 days or until turf is established; take care that the water is saturating the soil beneath the turf. In colder months, the turf will take longer to establish. The turf should not dry out until roots are established.
When the soil has firmed and the Kenda® Kikuyu turf has rooted down, usually 2-3 weeks after laying (longer during winter), mow lightly to tidy up the lawn.